Pilgrim numbers (was: Michener)

Mac Quart macsquartaYAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 12:45:12 PST 2001

Thanks for the info, I have been curious about one particular point you
covered.  I remember reading about how the Camino basically disappeared for
many years as far as use goes.  The person who wrote this made the comment that
he walked it in the seventies and often didn't see people for days.  Does
anyone know what sparked the growth in the Camino (other than Shirley McClain)
or is there any other reason?

But think about this point when you talk about an entire town opening up to
facilitate pilgrims...  what were your needs when you walked the Camino and
what would their needs be?  Imagine not having a very detailed map or any real
idea of what is to come... imagine how much food you would carry with you.  Do
you think that these people bought food every day?  My guess is that they would
usually buy enough food for several days (and my point also includes the fact
that we consume much more food now than they did because of our size and
habits) and so when you mention that an entire town would begin just to
facilitate the pilgrims means something very big to me.

Mac

=====
"Brilliance is like four-wheel drive:  it enables a person to get stuck in even more remote places."
-Garrison Keillor on "A Prairie Home Companion"