5 Things I wish I had known (part 1)

Charles Clasen, Training Path clasenaTRAININGPATH.COM
Fri Aug 31 04:05:55 PDT 2001

Dear All,

To come home and read the postings made during the time I was on the Camino, August 3-27, was a welcome way of softening re-entry.

Now, after the first good night's sleep in nearly a month, I would like to post five points I wish I had known, in case they can help others planning their journey. Apologies if they are already widely known - I deliberately did not want to be over-informed before setting out, but I had read several pilgrim's narratives of the Camino, and followed this list for a month or so.

1. Budget - it was not possible for me to do the journey on 2000 ptas a day
2. Footwear: In the dry (summer season) it is possible to do nearly all the Camino in sandals.
3. Showers   - It is possible to shower and was clothes at refugios without staying the night there.
4. Toilet roll    - a small supply carried with you is most handy for the frequent occasions when there is none in the facilities you are using!
5. Return travel - The Spanish national airline discounts nearly 50% of their regular fares to pilgrims returning home. You need to show your 'compostela' certificate. Also, in the high (August) season it can be difficult to get a ticket out of Santiago

For those that can wish them, , further comments on these points follow in Part 2.:

Buen Camino a todos.

Charles Clasen
www.trainingpath