Pamplona to St. Jean

Katie Holland kholland25aYAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 30 20:18:09 PDT 2001

We took a bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles.  Mon - Sat
it leaves at 5:30pm, but I suggest that you get there
early becuase once the bus is full it leaves the
station.  I think I remember that the bus leaves
earlier in the day on Sunday.  There is a tourist
office near the Cathedral that can give you
information on the busses and the Camino.  Once we got
to Roncevellas we took a cab to St. Jean which is
about a 40 min trip.  This will allow you to see the
terrain you will be going over. We were there in the
beginning of July and the refugios were pack along
with all hostels in town.  Also be sure to buy food in
St, Jean the night before to take with you as you walk
to Roncevalles.  There are two paths you can take -
one that follows along the highway that is said to be
easier than the other road over the pyrenees.  We took
the harder road and the views were beautiful and well
worth the more difficult climb.  Hope this is helpful.
If you have more specific questions you can email me
directly and I will be glad to help you.

Katie