New to the list/intro

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Fri Aug 17 09:34:51 PDT 2001

I think I may be able to provide a list for ladies.  My pack varied between
12 and 15 lbs depending on food, water and weather.

Dana Bridger back pack (loved it!)
2 pairs convertible pants (ExOfficio - they were warm and cool and dried VERY
quickly)
2 Patagonia (middle weight) v-neck t-shirts
2 Moving Comfort sports bras (so comfortable! - dried fast)
2 sets of Moving Comfort ladies bikinis
3 pairs Smartwool hiking socks (also dried quickly and I changed socks
halfway thorugh the day)
3 pairs sock liners
Patagonia fleece jacket.
White (stupid choce) Columbia long sleeve shirt that converted to a short
sleeve.  Get another color!
1 wrap, sarong style skirt for wearing at end of walking day
1 night shirt (modesty wasn't a problem for me)
fleece sleep sac (although when I walk in September 2002 I will bring my down
sleeping bag)
1 rain pncho that fit over my pack
1 pair Teva sandals
Tilley hat (I loved mine!)
1 bandana that I wrapped around my throat to protect me from the sun
Smith sunglasses (If you are light sensitive I would suggest these.  I never
got a single headache)
Watch with ligh and alarm
Hiking boots
Walking stick (mine was a Leki which would fit alongside the pack when I
wasn't in need of it)
Camelback 1.5 litre water bladder
Small amoutn of shampoo (bought more as I needed it)
1 bar of soap (bought more on the way)
Small tube of toothpaste (same as above)
Deoderant (bought more as needed)
45 SPF sunscreen
nail file
moleskin
a few bandaids
neosporin
Comb
Four hair rubber bands (also used them for other things)
Four ziplock bags
Travel size toothbrush
Charcoal for indegestion, sour stomache and gas
(any other medicines I bought as I had need of them)
Small Eagle Creek purse-like pouch which held my credentiale, passport,
credit cards, money, SPF 15 lip balm and small photos of family. Also
provided a nice place to attach the small Camino pins I bought along the way.
Loranzo's throw-away guide
Raju's guide
A journal that was made from hand-pressed paper.  It was lighter than the
traditional ones.
1 pen (bought another on the way)
Camera with 20 rolls of film (still had to buy more.  This was heavy but
worth it.  I kept the camera in my pants leg pocket so it was available as I
wanted it.)
Food was stored in the outer pockets and my water bladder was kept in the top
detachable pocjet of the pack.
My only other luxury was a small teddy bear.  He hung on the back of the pack.

I never saw a lady who had a problem in a church in terms of what she was
wearing.  I walked into churches in shorts, but they were longer than what I
would wear at home.  More like walking shorts than summery shorts.  Half-way
through I threw away the long sleeved shirt because it had become so grungy
and bought a light weight cotton crew to wear with the skirt.
There was only one thing that I missed at times and that was my CD player
with the 5 mix CDs I had burned before leaving.  I sent it ahead at St. Jean.
 I think this is a personal choice, however. Music is important to me, and I
missed it.
I had also brought along a Marmot rain jacket but left it in St. Jean by
accident.  I never needed it.
Next time I will forgo the hanging pouch and opt for a more traditional
fanny/tummy pack.  I walked with a woman who used it as a hand rest.  She
looked like she was in prayer as she walked along and she didn't ahve a
problem with her hands swelling.

As I said, the weight fluctuated with the different amounts of food I
carried.  I always had some chocolate and an extra banana or orange.  I ate
power bars on the way to Roncesvalles which worked wonders.

Hope this helps someone.  I too am interested in what others packed, left out
and purchased along the way or found they couldn't do without.

Buen Camino,
Gabrielle