Some quick tips

Norman Bone bone1966aYAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 16 15:18:19 PDT 2001

Hello-
17 lbs is pretty good! Mine was 27 to start! Off the top of my head I
would say that I would NOT bring a sleeping bag or sleeping pad. A
'hostel' bag or liner is all you need. Every refugio/gite had blankets
and beds (or at least mattresses). Be willing to spring for a hostal if
the refugio is full (or full of teenagers!). Apologies to any teenagers
on the list. Also, 2 sets of clothes is all you really need (maybe 3
pairs socks and underwear). No shampoo, just a bar of soap. Buy film
along the way and mail exposed film and gifts home or ahead to
Santiago. A one liter H2O bottle was fine except for on the plains.
Lots of places to refill otherwise.
-Norm Bone
Portland, OR