Post Camino stuff

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Wed Aug 8 08:17:06 PDT 2001

Russ said:

> My body, all by itself, was going about 120 miles per hour (200 km/hr).
> Let's see... at that rate I
> could have completed the whole Camino in about 4 hours! :-)

Isn't that a hoot?  When I flew from Santiago to Barcelona, I kept looking
down to see if I could find any landmarks.  I think I saw some at the start
of the flight.  But the speed difference was too bizarre.  A friend from the
Camino said to me: "When one walks the camino, it gives the soul a chance to
catch up."  I don't necessarily agree, but I thought it was a nice visual.
In the daily hustle of regular life, I imagine my soul taking breathers and
saying, "I'll catch up with you at the next refugio!" :-)

Will you jump again soon?

> My plans now are for May again because of the almost perfect weather I
> experienced this May. If not May, then it will probably be sometime in
> Setember too as I don't relish the thoughts of walking in the heat of mid
> summer.

May was a grand time to walk, wasn't it?  I forgot to ask you, after you
stopped walking, what did you do, where did you go?

> I really enjoyed your other post here too. I can't seem to get enough of
> hearing about others' experiences while on the Camino. Also, like you, I
> have just recently heard back from a couple of good friends that I made on
> the Camino. I can't tell you how good that makes me feel, and it also lets
> me "relive" the experiences all over again!

That is so true!  I was able to have dinner with another friend from Spain
and we laughed and laughed over some of our whines and gripes.  As I said
while walking, "Although I don't have kids, I imagine walking the Camino is
much like child birth.  When you're in it, and your feet are screaming, you
think, 'well, this seemed like a good idea at the time.'  But then, once
home, you say, 'what a wonderful thing to have experienced...what pain?!'"
Lets go again!

Your story is a perfect example of the caliber of people one meets on the
path.  I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I remember meeting a woman
from Denmark who pushed her two children in an outfitted pram.  She was
helped through mud and such by many pilgrims and I'm sure was able to reach
Santiago.  She alway skept a smile and a very genuine response of gratitude.
And the children were wonderful as well, and had a grand time!

Take care Russ, much love,
Gabrielle