Water-hotels.Now:Disappointed with these negative, acrimonious messages

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Sat Aug 4 18:54:52 PDT 2001

Dear Pilgrims, Members,
I am disappointed to read that these negative, acrimonious message are still
continuing.

<<<(E. O. Pederson)
Frankly I find your comments on this listserve to be offensive and
counterproductive.>>

<<<  (Howard Mendes)   I really wish people like you would stop alarming
potential pilgrims about the safety of the water supply from POTABLE fuentes
that have been used by countless pilgrims >>>>

<<< Howard Mendes to Judy)
Judy - You really should not tell Listserve members the obvious: >>>

<<<Please don't be so defensive and righteous in expounding your viewpoints.>>

My own feelings are that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and
whether you stay in hotels, ride busses, taxis or whatever you are a pilgrim
and have a lot to give to the list.

I find it odd this attitude of burying one's head in the sand. It is
important to furnish all information whether good and bad. New members
require as much information as possible to allow them to make rational
decisions in accommodation, means of travel and security of person and
belongings.

Having made a pilgrimage surely it is important to keep to the tenets of that
experience, otherwise what use is the list if there is constant bickering and
no recognition that all are entitled to an opinion even when we do not agree
with it.
We are individuals, capable of deciding how we will make the pilgrimage, what
we will eat or drink whilst away from home.

There is a responsibility to furnish all information to help all
pilgrims-to-be and in particular the younger members. Let there be a little
more love and compassion and a willingness to learn from whatever subject
members have to share.

It puzzles me why there are never any comments on the quality, cleanliness
and hygiene of the toilets, washrooms, WC's along the route.
And surely it is most important to inform members of security in respect of
both personal safety and belongings. If members are forewarned they can take
steps to be aware of any problems and how to avoid them.

Before 1986 when I became ill I travelled world-wide despite having no
shortage of funds I enjoyed the low cost Backpacker style. You were closer to
the people and their lifestyles, an experience you never enjoy when
travelling in style.
On meeting fellow travellers the first item discussed was where to find the
best toilets, then the best value for food, places to eat and the last
subject a place to sleep.

It is important that the new members are given advice on security and be
informed that security begins from the moment of leaving home. They be given
information as to any problems occurring in certain places on the pilgrim
route.
This is nothing new as you will find if you read the history and accounts of
the earlier pilgrims. It amuses me to read the disapproval of the different
ways of making the pilgrimage, again it is very clear in historical accounts
that from the beginning of the pilgrimage route many modes of transport were
used.

As to the question of both water and food on route is it not better to bring
attention
to the use of moderation in all things allowing the body to adjust to a
change of diet
and intake of water. If pilgrims are travelling for a week or two then
keeping to bottled water can be sensible, those spending longer periods can
use bottled water for the first week and then slowly introduce the local
water. If on a low budget buying bottled water is an added expense that can
be avoided. A most important reminder is to drink plenty of water. I would
think that a reminder on personal hygiene will make more sense, keep hands
clean and wash them often,
Use cheap sandals, flip-flops in shower and toilet areas.
It must be remembered that Spain is not a Third World Country and restaurants
at home can be even more dangerous.

In closing I would say, ADVICE, ADVICE is what is required and not niggling
or unpleasantness.
Why not share information on the conditions of hostels, Refugios, best and
worst toilets, good or bad places to eat, places where you have firsthand
knowledge of odd characters acting unpleasantly towards woman.
What about writing of the people met along the route, the woodcarver outside
Logrono, then the man who makes staffs to give to pilgrims, the Mayor who
welcomes pilgrims and there must be many more.
Kind regards,
Howard  (Scotland)

Howard Murphy
81 George Street