Santiago cities in America

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Apr 27 17:46:20 PDT 2001

Those of us subscribers to this list are unbelievably fortunate to be able to
receive  the invaluable information, so generously given, by such admirable
Santiago scholars as Maryjane, Linda, Elyn,  Preston and others.
Some of you have sent me messages directly asking whether pictures of the
Santiago Cities' shields in American cities listed in an earlier message can
be  displayed through this medium.
Well,..... I can't do it.  I am a computer inept person and wouldn't know how
to begin to attempt to send pictures here,  (a pity, because I would very
much love to share with you  a photograph of that mesmerizing and
awingly-touching picture of St. Francis coming down the Pyrenees in his
pilgrimage  which is exhibited in the Leon's Cathedral modern art museum).
Dear Pieter from Holland has attempted to instruct me in this
respect......Alas, without success.  It appears that I would need a scanner
or something.
But we have recourse to the books mentioned by Maryjane (bless her!). I, for
one, am already on the search for them.
To answer those of you who asked where I got the information about the
shields:  there is an adage in Spain that says that you cannot really come
out in the losing end if you fall in love with Andalucia.    Indeed, for me,
it is so.
Next to the magnificent Cathedral in Seville, (totally unlike any other
cathedral known to me, and the most majestic outside of St. Peters in Rome),
there is a building which holds the "Archives of the Indias", where all
documents pertaining to the first arrival of the Spaniards in America, and
their settlements and activities therein for the next four hundred and fifty
years, and the consequences thereof, are kept.  For those interested in the
subject the data in the Archives is not just a banquet, but a total
intoxication of historical and intellectual riches. -Fortunately, the
Archives building  also houses a little bar where one may go get a couple of
brandies to regain one's foothold on the present.-
This far away, we are lucky to be the recipients of the intellectual
generosity of those Santiago scholars above mentioned,
If this message appears mushy.... attribute it to the overwhelming impact of
even the memory of the Archives.
Anyway, there is where I got the information.... and much more, which I shall
post as I perceive your interest therein.
Thanks a million, Maryjane.
Regards to all,
Rosina