2000 pilgrims numbers.

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed Apr 25 13:08:02 PDT 2001

Hi you all,
The following are the statistical numbers provided by the Santiago
Archdiocese regarding the year 2000:

The total number of pilgrims who received the Compostela during 2000 was
55,004, which was almost twice the number of pilgrims in the last non Holy
Jacobean year, 1998, and more than ten times the number of pilgrims in 1990.

79% of the pilgrims walked, 20% bicycled and the remaining 1% went by horse,
mule or wheelchair.

96% had religious motives for the pilgrimage (66% exclusively religious and
30% religious/cultural); 4% made the pilgrimage for cultural or educational
reasons.

56% of the pilgrims completed the pilgrimage during July and August, but
there were pilgrims every month with the lowest number in January (197).

62% of the pilgrims were between the ages of 20 and 50 years; 222 were
younger than ten years of age; 7,006 were between 50 and 60 years old, 3,359
between 60 and 70, and 330 were over 70 years old.

68% of the pilgrims were from Spain, with others, in descending numbers, from
France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Holland, England, Portugal, Austria and
Switzerland.  There were 3,362 of us from America: 2,172 from Central and
South America  and 1,490 from the U.S., Canada and Mexico (North America).
161 pilgrims were from Asia and 44 from Africa.  There were also 721 from
Oceania which, I think includes Australia, and  793  from  other countries.

28% of the pilgrims were students and the others were diversely occupied.
Significantly, whereas in 1999 the number of teachers roughly equaled the
number of housewives, in 2000 the teachers were three times the number of
housewives.  3,951 pilgrims were in retirement, 487 were priests and 82 were
nuns.  There were also 9 "Oikoten" (which I do not know what it means and
cannot find in the dictionary.....????)

I don't remember what else some of you wanted to know. If there are specific
items of interest to you please e-mail me directly.    ALSO, regarding our
planned reunion-dinner in New York City for past pilgrims, please also e-mail
me directly lest this list become a chat-room-group.

On a last note, the Archdiocese has informed me that (I suppose owing to my
many and repeated questions) they have added  me to  their list of those who
receive  periodic mailed information from them.  When I get the mailings if I
see something that in my view may be of general interest I shall post it.
Unavoidably I will have to  use  my personal judgement, so please tell me
what would interest you.

Ah!, I almost forgot,:  62% of the pilgrims were male.

Saludos cordiales,

Rosina