Speaking Spanish

Russ Irwin rirwinaUSAOR.NET
Thu Apr 19 21:15:08 PDT 2001

I have a sort of different question about Spanish. First of all, I haven't spent as much time trying
to learn Spanish as I had planned on, mainly because I don't know anybody who speaks it whom I can
practice with. And too, I always learn best from on-the-job-experience, which I will soon be having
on the Camino! :-)

I do, however, speak a little Italian (very little) which stems from the 15 months I spent in Italy
30 years ago. I can see that Italian and Spanish are very similar. So, my question is (at least for
the first part of my pilgrimage), if I don't know how to say something in Spanish and speak it in
Italian instead, will I be mostly understood?

Thanks,
Russ