Shells and staffs

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Thu Apr 19 14:10:29 PDT 2001

Robin:

In all honesty, the staff does not own me at all.  Yes, it has value to me, and yes, I am choosing to not take it because of that value.  I'll be forthright and say that this staff is used as a sacred and spiritual tool. It has been carved into andhas become a story book of sorts.  However, for all of that, I am not at all heart-broken to leave it at home.  Leaving the staff is in no way a reflection of my trust/faith, or potential lack thereof, in God.  It's heavy, it's bulky so it's staying home.

As for the shell, no, it's not a "club badge."  I choose to carry it because I will be a pilgrim.  I have not before heard that the shell was only for those who had already been to Santiago.  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.  I carry it as a form of identification.  Again, let me be forthright and say that the shell itself, TO ME, is not indicative of anything but a symbol of THIS Camino, or Way.  Now people may get angry because I seem to have refused it's medieval intent, but there it is.  This pilgrimage is highly personal and will carry with it highly personal interpretations of all its symbols and acoutrements.  The use of the term "club badge" implies that I have in some way diminished it's meaning or intent.  I won't defend my use of the shell because I hold it in high regard.  If that regard is not the same as anothers, so be it.  I will be proud to wear that shell, just as I will be proud because I will conduct myself along the Camino with self-respect, res!
pe!
!
ct for the land upon which I tre
adand the people whom I shall meet.  When I walk away, and that shell is apparent on my pack, those who see it will hopefully see a person who is an honest, considerate human being and pilgrim, and who offered a smile, conversation, aid if needed and a willingness to learn about a new culture.

Finally, regarding the hoof/foot and mouth disease.  Simply, I want to be as inevasive as possible.

I hope this clarifies things.

Gabrielle