hostals

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Thu Apr 19 09:44:57 PDT 2001

Nothing at all intended about getting robbed. Didn't cross my mind. "Iffy"
(IF I remember what I meant!) probably referred to whether we would find a
place to stay or not. In 1982, in Viana, which was "en fiestas," we finally
found a place when a bartender talked to his wife, who let us stay in an
apartment they weren't using. In 1997, when the refugio in Larazuana
(spelling!) was full and we were about in despair, even though we had been
offered a mattress under a staircase, which wasn't bad, but I needed a
private bathroom for reasons I won't discuss, the hospitalero (the mayor)
knew someone who was thinking of taking in pilgrims--and we ended up in their
master bedroom, complete with private bath and the lady's corset still flung
over a chair!

Although I heard of occasionally thievery, we never had any problem, nor did
we ever feel personally threatened.

Buen Camino,
Elyn