leaving a beloved staff at home

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Tue Apr 17 10:00:22 PDT 2001

Dear Ellen,

> I've already decided to leave my beloved hazel wood staff at
> home (just to be on the safe side because of hoof and mouth),

Have you or others heard of people having staffs confiscated at customs and
destroyed because of hoof and mouth disease?  I was planning to return with
my applewood staff that I got at another pilgrimage site, Bardsey island
(off the coast of Wales), used the last time I walked the Camino, and am
quite attached to.  I certainly don't want to take that staff and discover i
can't return with it.

I do have a rubber cane foot on it (fitted at a helpful Spanish pharmacia
after i wore out the improvised foot I'd made from a U.S. hardware store
kitchen stool foot).  It was helpful for traction on stony ground, and cut
down the hard noise of the stick when we were walking on pavement.
Repetition makes little things either delightful or annoying, and I found
that noise annoying (and the quieter thud of the rubber foot delightful).

The rubber cane foot is what will be on the ground, and I could part with on
return if whoever is concerned for hoof and mouth disease permits such a
solution.

Thanks.  If returning with my staff would be problem, I'm very glad to know
ahead of time.

Donald