"St" Santiago

Maryjane Dunn mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Wed Apr 11 07:57:42 PDT 2001

> I'm so excited.  My birthday is St. Santiago Day (7/25) and I plan on
> hopefully arriving in Compostela on that day.

Just a note for clarification (this has come up before, but for our newer
members):

Santiago is the linguistic contraction that developed as the Latin name for
Iago (James) was repeatedly linked to "Sanctus" and then became the Spanish
Santo + Iago or Santiago. Although you occasionally hear a (generally
less-well-educated) Spanish speaker say "San Santiago", it is not common as
he is a very well known saint in Spain/Spanish cultures. So, in English, it
would be just "St. James" or "Santiago".

Maryjane