Message for Donald Schell

Michael P. Barham mpb5aDUKE.EDU
Mon Apr 2 22:20:51 PDT 2001

somport-jacaDonald,
when are you going to start?  I start around May 10th, at the latest.

Michael Barham
mpb5aduke.edu
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Donald Schell
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 12:10 AM
  Subject: somport-jaca

  Dear pilgrims,

  Donald Schell here, new to the list, a 54 year old Episcopal priest from California.   In July of1998 I walked with my daughter starting at St. Jean Pied de Port (through Roncesvalles and on to Logrono where we took buses to Leon (through Burgos) and then walked on from Leon to Santiago.

  Next month my wife and I are planning to walk two weeks toward Santiago, beginning either at St. Jean or at Somport.   My wife has not walked the Camino before, though we've traveled together in Spain.  I know how to get to St. Jean and can plan that route from previous experience, but I think I'd like us to begin Somport and walk through the Somport Pass.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has gone that way.

  I have our 1998 copy of Lozano's A Practical Guide for Pilgrims.  The photos of the pass look beautiful, but A Practical Guide doesn't give altitude maps for this branch of the Camino.  How much altitude change is there over Somport Pass?  I'd also welcome suggestions from experience of how to break those opening days (Somport-Jaca-Sanguesa).  We were not planning to carry camping equipment.  Also helpful would be experience of the alternate route from Jaca via Monasterio de S. Juan de la Pena, and of either of the two routes from Puenta la Reina de Jaca to Sanguesa.

  If we start in Somport, I'd also welcome recommendations for (or against) ways of getting there.  We're flying to London and were thinking to take either train to France and through France to the border or boat from England to Spain (Santander) and then. . ?  What are practical combinations of train (or bus?) to Somport?  Thank you.

  Donald Schell
  Saint Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church
  San Francisco, California