liturgies and prayer on camino

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Mon Apr 2 10:26:30 PDT 2001

That's very interesting! I was traveling with several American priests, a
nun, and a group of Catholic lay people (and 3 non-Catholics, including
myself and a Baptist) last summer. When the priests celebrated mass and
passed around the consecrated bread, they were quite clear that we were NOT
to particate unless we were Catholic. Being Christian Protestant wasn't good
enough. One of the priests did a wonderful thing the last time he celebrated
mass, in a tiny private chapel--he had another loaf of bread that he gave to
those of us who weren't Catholic, so we could partake. Maybe it's different
in the UK?
Maybe the subtleties are beyond me! As a former seminarian myself (M.Div.
Iliff, 1997) I do understand the importance of honoring both your own beliefs
and those of others.

Buen Camino,
Elyn