Sv: Boots vs hiking shoes

fkjaer fkjaeraPOST7.TELE.DK
Sat Dec 30 08:10:14 PST 2000

Hi Russ,

I walked from St. Jean to Burgos in 9 days this summer - an average of 30 kilometres a day - wearing a brand new pair of ECCO Track boots.
I didn't chose this brand because it's Danish like myself. Actually I didn't choose as they were the only footwear I could get big enough. They served me well, though.
Like Nick I bought them  a number bigger than I normally use and I only got three blisters:
One very little on my "ring-finger"-toe of the left foot, and another the size of half a ping-pong ball on the ankle of the left foot. Neither bothered me the least.
(The only blister that did bother me a bit was the third that grew between the thumb and the index finger of my right hand from holding the staff.)
Before leaving for Spain a friend gave me a tube of 'Visible Difference - Eight Hour Cream Protectant' from Elizabeth Arden. Every morning I greased my feet with this lubricant - not forgetting the space between the toes. I wore only one thin pair of woolen socks. (Others swear to wearing two pairs of socks in order to reduce friction).
This worked very fine for me who am 47 years old, no sportsman, not in the best shape, 20 pct overweight and never had hiked before.

And one other thing: Pack lightly! I carried only 9 kilos + food and water.

I hope you can use some of my experience.
But we are individuals. I advise you to do some training before going to find out what works for you.
I didn't and guess that I was only lucky that things worked so well for me.

Enjoy your preparations for the camino and the upcoming new millenium!

Frans.