New listserver member(s)

Dennis Cooney cooneyaVALIS.ORG
Fri Dec 29 18:59:38 PST 2000

Hi and welcome to the listservice.  For the new members about to walk I
would like to offer a couple of suggestions.  Practice walking long
distances before you go and get in shape.  You will enjoy yourself so much
more if you are not hurting.  And second, pack light.  Only take the
absolute necessities.  I have walked twice now (from Paris for 59 days) and
learned the hard way.  Like many others I discarded items and mailed others
to get my pack down to about 10 lbs.  One change of clothes and a guide book
was about all I ended up with.  The lighter your pack the more you will
enjoy the journey.  I stayed in hotels and rooms above the bar etc., so I
didn't worry about sleeping bags and tents.
  I recently discovered an excellent book which I highly recommend.  The
Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The complete Cultural Handbook by David M.
Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson.
Dennis Cooney  Vancouver Canada