Burros in the Camino

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Dec 29 18:16:38 PST 2000

Ales of Zaragoza has started a (rent-a) burro and/or horse Camino service
with some stable owners; they have arranged for related facilities throughout
and reportedly were to make the pilgrimage this winter to test the service.
Ales' e-mail address is:
           mediaintainame.com
He reads English fairly well, but will probable answer in Spanish.  If so,
forward his message to me and I will translate it gladly.
I myself am sixty years old and although I did not experience any
difficulties completing the Camino (from St Jean's) last summer I did miss
having my Nikon F4 and its array of lenses.  Also, it would have been nice to
old on to a donkey's saddle on those ever-recurring steep climbs.
In my next pilgrimage in June I will be in the company of a donkey. if at all
possible.

As an aside, in a little town close to O Cerbreiro there is a church which
contains a statue of Santiago peregrino riding a donkey.

Let me recommend to you, in the most enthusiastic manner possible, a book
called "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by Gitlitz and Davidson, published
some months ago by the St Martin press, ISBN 0-312-25416-4 .  It in a
veritable encyclopedic  treasure trove of religious, artistic, historic and
architectural facts related to the Camino presented step-by-step, as it were.
 I can think of no better source of guidance, information and illumination in
all respects.  At their request, I've sent quite a few copies to English
speaking pilgrims that I met during the pilgrimage.

Well, enjoy your Camino preparations and have a very Happy New Year/Century/
Millennium  which shall truly commence on 01/01/01.

Best regards,

Rosina
(from New York City)