New listserver member

Nick Hayes clubnickaEROLS.COM
Thu Dec 28 12:09:19 PST 2000

Edie and others

I walked the Camino in 98 and 2000. ( 62 and 64 at the time)

The first time was from Leon, and I suffered considerably from lack of physical
preparation, even though I thought I was reasonably fit.

The second time was from St Jean and I was smart enough to do some serious
physical preparation before leaving for Spain.  My pleasure on the Camino the
second time was orders of magnitude greater.
Many, myself included, have commented in the past that  it is possible to get
fit ON the Camino. This is true but predeparture prepping makes life much  more
fun.

If you are interested in the details, I was at the gym 3 time a week for 4
months lifting and treadmilling.
A lot of this was just fear of being ditched....  :-)   ...by the 3 teenagers I
had with me, but it paid off.  we made it over the Pyrenees in 7 1/2 hours.  I
know this is not supposed to be a race but try telling this to teenagers who
have legs right up the their armpits

good luck......Nick Hayes