annual gathering of Pilgrims

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 28 00:07:21 PST 2000

What:   Gathering of Pilgrims 2001
When:   March 2-4, 2001
Where:  Santa Fe, New Mexico

Dear Friends,

It is with pleasure and anticipation that I announce another annual
gathering of pilgrims – our fourth.  Thanks to our pilgrim friend and
hospitalera Katie Lopez, this year’s meeting will take place in Santa Fe,
New Mexico, the weekend of March 3rd.

Many of us have found that despite the proliferation of Camino information
and ease of making contacts with other pilgrims via the Internet, returning
home from a pilgrimage can be a surprisingly confusing and isolating
experience.  For the returning pilgrim, finding a community of understanding
people with whom one can share this powerful, life-changing experience can
be as important as completing the pilgrimage to Santiago. These gatherings
give pilgrims the opportunity to share their stories, deepen the meaning of
pilgrimage and strengthen ties amongst the pilgrim community in North
America. For future pilgrims, these meetings offer an opportunity to learn
about the Camino de Santiago from experienced pilgrims and to develop
realistic expectations for their own Camino experience.

Our weekend will begin Friday evening with an informal dinner, introductions
and a sharing of stories.  Last year’s participants came away with the
feeling that this was a special high point of the weekend – an experience
not to be missed.    Saturday will be filled with presentations, exercises,
information and entertainment.   In addition to your personal creative
efforts and contributions, we will have the pleasure of two featured guests,
both Camino veterans:

George Greenia, one of our presenters, is Editor of La Coronica, and
Director of the Program in Medieval and Renaissance Studies, College of
William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA.  In  1998 George biked from Paris to
Santiago and in 1999 biked round trip from Salamanca, north along the Ruta
de la Plata returning through Portugal along the Ruta Mozarabe.  He has been
researching, writing and speaking on the Camino as well as leading Labyrinth
Walk “meditation pilgrimages.

Wanda Sawicki, Art Therapist and Program facilitator from Ontario, Canada,
has been leading
work shops that involve participants viewing their own lives as pilgrimage.
Under Wanda’s skillful guidance, this year’s participants will have an
opportunity to re-examine and deepen their Camino experience, exploring its
relationship to their everyday “normal” life.  Says Wanda,“…we will be doing
art therapy, and not ‘just art’…it will involve meaning,  and depth…an
opportunity to share stories.  It is not meant to ‘fix’ any problems, but
rather to invite meaningful sharing of experience.”
Saturday evening will be free time to visit with old and newfound friends.
Sunday there will be an optional trip to the Santuario de Chimayo with lunch
at the Rancho de Chimayo, an old New Mexican house serving northern New
Mexican fare.  Chimayo is a North American pilgrimage destination predating
the arrival of the Spaniards.  During Holy Week, thousands of pilgrims go
there because of the healing properties thought to be found in the dirt.
Because of the Spanish Conquistadores, there is a history of Santiago.
Several of the Indian pueblos in the area honor the feast day of Santiago
with dances and re-enactments of the ‘moros y cristianos.’

Costs, which will include Friday dinner, Saturday workshop, presentations
and lunch, are still approximate.  They are estimated to be $75.00 to
$100.00, depending on the number of attendees.   A deposit of $40.00 will be
asked for upon registration with the balance to be determined later but
prior to the meeting.  There are a variety of hotel accommodations and
prices in Santa Fe.  This and transportation information will be sent to
registrants.

Looking forward to seeing old and new faces in Santa Fe,
Lin Galea

For further information and registration, contact:
Lin Galea                       Zita Macy
Lingaleaahotmail.com            Zmacyaaol.com