[Cfp-interest 3082] Re: csinh(x + i y) - G.6.3.5 - 5th bullet point of special cases

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Sat Apr 6 22:53:03 PDT 2024

The domain for

 	csinh(x + i INF)

is written to exploit the fact that the function is odd. It says

 	positive finite x

It could have ignored the fact that the function is odd and said

 	finite non-zero

The fact that the function is odd is ignored for the domain for

 	csinh(x + i NaN)
and
 	ctanh(x + i INF)
and
 	ctanh(x + i NAN)

which return the same result, NaN + i NaN

They ignore the fact that the function is odd and say

 	finite non-zero x

Should things be consistent?

I think we should exploit the fact that the function is odd but I am easy
either way. But I think consistency should be pursued. I have not gone
through all thororoughly but it seems to ignore that fact more often
than it exploits it.

Either way, these four cases jumped out at me.

Not that the ordering of the first six cases for ccosh() and csinh() agree
but they are then inconsistent with the 4th and 5th points of ctanh().

Do you agree that they need to be swapped?

I have a summary almost done but the above inconsistencies need to be
addressed.

Thanks - Damian