[Cfp-interest 2675] Re: WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes 2023/01/31

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Wed Feb 1 06:05:20 PST 2023

On 2023-01-31 20:45:29 +0000, Rajan Bhakta wrote:
>     Definition of “floating types”
>       See [Cep-interest 2654]
>       Rajan: As long as float_t and double_t have to be standard floating types, then we are good and there is no contradiction since real floating types contains standard floating types.
>       Fred: We should change float_t and double_t to be real floating types since right now they could be complex.
>       Needs to be looked at further.

Yes, float_t and double_t should probably be real floating types,
but "real floating types" should properly be defined. In N3088,
there is 6.2.5p14 saying

  The standard floating types and the decimal floating types are
  collectively called the real floating types.

where "real floating types" is *not* in italics. So it looks like
a definition, but it isn't really. This is confusing. BTW, there
is also an issue with H.2.4 Classification of real floating types,
in particular #6 ("real floating types are classified as follows"),
which does not include float_t and double_t.

Note that at least 6.3.1.8 "Usual arithmetic conversions" needs to
be updated to take that into account (and H.4 too?).

In 6.2.5, it should also probably be said that some definitions
are modified in Annex H (note that there are also _DecimalNx, and
new complex and imaginary types there).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>