[Cfp-interest 2857] Re: CFP review of TS-4 and TS-5 revisions

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Aug 24 22:24:16 PDT 2023

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023, David Hough CFP wrote:

> The short algorithms I listed do have the property that {max:max} is
> not a possible result, and indeed the final result {x.h;x.t} will always
> have |x.h| > |x.t|.    Whether the signs agree might indeed depend on the
> rounding mode.   754r however says that the augmented operations compute
> x.h using roundTiesTowardZero.   So the signs should always agree.

We definitely follow the standard. However, if as I think, the sign of x.h
and x.t might not be the same because of the IEEE 754 rounding mode, then
this should be noted in TS 4.

But I could be totally wrong about my concern.

I would prefer to see roundTowardsZero for these operations and then I can
guarantee that the signs would agree. But that is not what I think the
standard says so there is no point discussing my personal preference.

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer