[Cfp-interest 2854] Re: CFP review of TS-4 and TS-5 revisions

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Aug 24 21:25:06 PDT 2023

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023, David Hough CFP wrote:

> Exactly what the representable set of and bit encoding of double-double are
> unstandardized and I suppose most implementations are "whatever works
> fastest".    If speed if no concern, then just use software quad.
>
> The short algorithms I listed do have the property that {max:max} is
> not a possible result, and indeed the final result {x.h;x.t} will always
> have |x.h| > |x.t|.    Whether the signs agree might indeed depend on the
> rounding mode.   754r however says that the augmented operations compute
> x.h using roundTiesTowardZero.   So the signs should always agree.

Yes. That is the first line of 2nd paragraph.

I was reading that as round-to-nearest with Ties towards Zero. It says

the floating-point number nearest to the infinitely precise result shall
be delivered; if the two nearest floating-point numbers bracketing an
unrepresentable infinitely precise result are equally near, the one with
smaller magnitude shall be delivered.

Doesn't that mean that if the infinitely precise is of an unrepresentable
result is close to its neighbor when is larger than it in magnitude, that
this

 	roundTiesTowardsZero

result will exceed the actual result and the difference (which is x.t)
will then have a different sign.

Or have I missed something.

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer