[Cfp-interest 2549] IEEE-C Binding study group meeting 2022/09/21

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 21 09:22:20 PDT 2022

  Attendees: Rajan, Jim, Fred, Vivian, Damian, David H.

  New agenda items (https://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/n3056.pdf):
    None.

  Next Meeting(s):
    November 16, 2022, 3PM UTC
    ISO Zoom teleconference
    Please notify the group if this time slot does not work.

  Carry over action items:
    Done unless specified otherwise.
    Details below in "Carry-over action items results" section.

  Last meeting action items:
    Done unless specified otherwise.
    Details below in “Action items results” section.

  New action items:
    Jim/Fred: Re editorial review comment JT-096: Reword "matches" -> "uses" and reword value 2's description to say something like "following the specification for IEC 60559 operations". Also say that it uses the IEC 60559 storage format.
    Rajan: I can send David H. and David K. an email seeing what they are asking for to be a valid liaison for IEEE to WG14.
    All: Ensure the email addresses on the wiki are up to date. Can send the updated information to Jim Thomas or edit the wiki themselves.
    Jim: Ensure the email addresses on the wiki are up to date.

  C++ liaison:
    Nothing new.

  C23 integration:
    New draft available. N3054.
    Revised C23 schedule: https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2984.pdf
    Comments and discussions when the CD ballot comes out must be through the national body, not CFP.

  C23 draft review:
    See CFP2529 and follow up, CFP2538, CFP2543, CFP2544.
    Fred: Some of my comments did not seem to show up. May be my pdf viewer.
      Jim: Seems to be the viewer.
    Jim: Most comments are formatting problems or table/list/annex issues. Annex H for example. Some for italics/bold/fonts. Not much consistency. Hoping that got cleared up. Color was inconsistent too but it will be removed for the ballot document.
    Fred: My list I sent in was incomplete, just sent in some as examples.
    Jim: JT-096: If you have 2, what does that parenthetical mean?
      Fred: All subnormal support?
      Jim: Intel has a pure library for all IEEE 754 operations. Would that fit?
      Rajan: It can be more type specific information than what you get in Annex F's conformance macro.
      Jim: Can say following the specification for IEC 60559 formats in Annex F, but not necessarily full conformance to Annex F.
      Fred: Without subnormals, it can still be 1 since it has the right format, but not the operations.
      Jim: Yes.
      David H: 'uses' instead of 'matches' is better for the 0, 1, 2 cases a well as the starting paragraph text.
      ^Jim/Fred: Re JT-096, reword "matches" -> "uses" and reword value 2's description to say something like "following the specification for IEC 60559 operations"
    JT-097:
      Fred: If you sometimes support subnormals, is TRUE_MIN useful?
      Jim: The CD version of the draft may have this removed already.

  Carry-over action items results:
    David H: Get an example for the scaled reduction functions (perhaps by asking Jason or Jim or looking into the IEEE references). - Not done.
      See CFP2547 for a starting point.
      David: I can do the pseudo code that looks like C. But need someone to review it. When I'm there, I'll ask for help. This was Khan's original justification. I expect anything involving factorials can get like this pretty quickly.

    David H: Get an example for the augmented arithmetic functions (perhaps by asking Jason or Jim or looking into the IEEE references). - Not done.
      David: Have asked Jason and Jim.
      Fred: I would recommend complex multiply/divide.
      David: A good thought. Complex multiplication is probably the best. Simple enough to understand and complicated enough to see the value of the augmented functions.

  Action items results (from previous meeting):
    Rajan: Send Ian information on joining SCC's SC22 mirror committee.
      Done. No reply.

    Everyone: If you are in doubt about your membership, contact Rajan, Jim, and Fred.
      See [Cfp-interest 2517] Fwd: [WG 14 SG Chairs] Study Group Membership
      Fred: OK  now, but may be my last year unless something cheaper is found.
      David: What do I need to show I am good from IEEE's side?
      ^Rajan: I can send you an email seeing what they are asking for to be a valid liaison for IEEE to WG14.

    Jim: I can update Rajan's comment and send it up for review before I submit it Monday.
      See [Cfp-interest 2538] CFP review of C23 draft N3047 - documents

  Other issues
    Review TS part 4 revision
      See [Cfp-interest 2454] Re: post-C23 update for TS 18661-4

    TS part 5 revision

  Others?
    ^All: Ensure the email addresses on the wiki are up to date. Can send the updated information to Jim Thomas.