[Cfp-interest 2552] Indeterminate - NaN

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Fri Oct 14 21:44:57 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I came across a number, whose 64-bit bit pattern is

 	0xffc00000

It is called Indeterminant or IND (in the same context as IEEE 754 has INF
and NaN).

It traces if origins to Kevin J Brewer of Delco Electronics who extended
some documentation of Quanfei Wan.

Does anybody know its history?  It looks like a NaN to me.

Is it simply a Windows thing these days?

Stay safe - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer