[Cfp-interest 2476] quantum exponent for ++ and -- operators

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 30 15:13:43 PDT 2022

At the July CFP meeting we discussed the issue for the ++ and -- operators of needing to specify a quantum exponent for the incrementing and decrementing 1. We noted that a fix might have to came through a NB comment.

Here is a possible change (to N2912):

In 6.5.2.4#2, replace:

	… the value of the operand object is incremented (that is, the value 1 of the appropriate type is added to it).

with:

	… the value of the operand object is incremented: the value 1 of the appropriate type is added to the operand object, where if E has decimal floating type, the added 1 has quantum exponent 0.

In 6.5.2.4#3, replace:

	… the value of the operand object is decremented (that is, the value 1 of the appropriate type is subtracted from it).

with:

	… the value of the operand object is decremented: the value 1 of the appropriate type is subtracted from the operand object, where if E has decimal floating type, the subtracted 1 has quantum exponent 0.