[Cfp-interest 2309] History of HUGE_VAL

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Sun Jan 9 15:36:45 PST 2022

My memory, which could be wrong, reminds me that in Unix Sys5 Rel3, which
was released in 1987,

 	HUGE_VAL

was a macro definition for the largest positve floating point number. This
corresponds to the naming used in languages like Fortran and PL/1 where
the term HUGE has that same meaning.

This UNIX release was in distillation during the release of the very first
IEEE 754 Floating Point Standard.

Obviously 1987 predates any C standard, although the X3J11 committee that
was established to create that standard was formed in 1983.

At what time/date did HUGE_VAL within the C floating point model become
aliased to an INFINITY, rather than be part of the HUGE/TINY pairing?
Was it from the start, i.e. 1988/1989?

Stay safe - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer