[Cfp-interest 2364] Re: Updated (V4) N2823

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 2 16:08:30 PST 2022

From my understanding, the problem is that freestanding implementations may
want to support 60559 (either or both BFP and DFP). As such, the concern
was that supporting that also brings in state issues that are not normally
appropriate for freestanding implementations.
From discussion with the reflector message author, it does seem that the
issue really is the global storage and state that is brought into the
freestanding world which previously was not there for good reason.

The concerns in the reflector message did explicitly mention errno and
Joseph's follow on also discussed it. I do believe though the inclusive
path we have discussed (no way to access errno without errno.h) does
address that concern.

The FENV_ACCESS approach could work and fits in with practice in that
anecdotal evidence suggests no one really implements this fully anyways.

I am good with rewriting this paper based on the 3 part approach. Anyone
else have any preferences either way?

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative (Canada, USA), PL22.11 Chair
C/C++ Compiler Development
rbhakta at us.ibm.com

IBM