[Cfp-interest 2001] Re: AI about IEC 60559 binding

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 13 09:21:08 PDT 2021

Hi Paul,

The math functions as specified in F3/F10 are not the IEC 60559 recommended mathematical operations. I think the new text makes that clear. The F3/F10 math functions do correspond to the IECC 60559 operations in the sense of providing approximations to the same mathematical functions and handing special cases the same way (to the extent possible without correct rounding). An implementation can provide the IEC 60559 operations as C functions with the cr_ prefix.

This was a design decision made in consideration of implementation practicality and general user needs (as seen by CFP).

- Jim Thomas