[Cfp-interest 1888] Re: Negative

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Sun Jan 10 16:48:37 PST 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021, Jim Thomas wrote:

> Is -0.0 negative? Is it nonnegative? Is +0.0 positive? We believe
> that:
>
>  *  negative is less than zero
>  *  positive is greater than zero
>  *  -0.0 and +0.0 are neither negative nor positive values
>  *  -0.0 has a negative sign
>  *  +0.0 has a positive sign
>
> However, -0.0 and +0.0 are both nonnegative and nonpositive.

Are we looking for a tight definitive explanation?

I looked at Overton's text book and found that less precise than the
above. Scary. I need to look at Muller's book and the standard.

> What is a ?negative signed value?? I believe it?s intended to mean a
> signed value with a negative sign, though it might be interpreted as a
> signed value that its negative. Using an adverb might help: negatively
> signed value.

That is certainly more correct English.

> What should happen with NaNs? I don?t believe C says that NaN values are
> signed, or unsigned.

I will get back to you on that.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer