[Cfp-interest 2125] Re: AI about updating definition of normalized

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Wed Aug 25 09:03:27 PDT 2021

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:12:41 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>> Instead of "all x with f1 > 0", how about
>> "all x that are model numbers with f1 > 0"
>
>The preceding sentence is:
>
>For each floating-point type, a floating-point number (x) is defined by the following model:
>
>       x =
>
>Doesn't that make it clear what x is? Note that there are other references to "x" further on in the paragraph. Also, saying
>"all x that are model numbers" might suggest there are some x =  that are not model numbers. (I suppose "all model
>numbers x" might avoid that misunderstanding, but think it's clear as is.).

I missed the connection of the 'x' in paragraph 4 is the same x in paragraph 3.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.