[Cfp-interest 2119] Re: AI about updating definition of normalized

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 16:12:41 PDT 2021

> On Aug 22, 2021, at 8:55 PM, Fred J. Tydeman <tydeman at tybor.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 14:43:45 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Please send any issues by end of noon Tuesday, August 24.
>
> Instead of "all x with f1 > 0", how about
> "all x that are model numbers with f1 > 0"

The preceding sentence is:

For each floating-point type, a floating-point number (x) is defined by the following model:

	x = …

Doesn’t that make it clear what x is? Note that there are other references to “x” further on in the paragraph. Also, saying “all x that are model numbers” might suggest there are some x = … that are not model numbers. (I suppose “all model numbers x” might avoid that misunderstanding, but think it’s clear as is.).

- Jim Thomas