[Cfp-interest 1866] AI for unsigned zeros to compare equal

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 26 10:08:05 PST 2020

Action item:
>     Fred/Jim: Have a statement in the main body of the standard saying opposite signed zeros compare equal.

IEEE 754 5.11 says "Comparisons shall ignore the sign of zero (so +0 = −0).” This applies to C relational operators and equality operators. We suggest adding

	Positive and negative zeros compare equal.

in 6.5.8, at the end of #4, and in 6.5.9, at the end of #5. (Note that a statement about pointers comparing equal appears in both subclauses.)

- Jim Thomas and Fred Tydeman