[Cfp-interest 1857] Re: Negative zero

Ian McIntosh ianmc at eol.ca
Sun Nov 22 19:36:33 PST 2020

  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }20
decades?
  - Ian McIntosh
 On Sun 20/11/22 12:08 AM , Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au sent:
 On Sat, 21 Nov 2020, Fred J. Tydeman wrote:
 > On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 11:30:53 +1100 (AEDT) Damian McGuckin wrote:
 >>
 >> Out of curiosity, how many chipsets in use today still use an
extended IEC60559 format?

 > I believe that all of Intel x86 chips with its x87 FPU use the
80-bit
 > extended format.
 Sorry, I should have summarized what I know.
 The Itaniums also have that format I believe.,
 As do some old Motorola chipsets although they the Motorola variant
which
 is 96 bits wide (with 16 unused bits in the middle from memory)
 I was just curious if anybody has designed and built a chipset in
the
 last 20 decades which used the 80-bit extended format.
 I have never seen a 44-bit extended format in my life.
 Regards - Damian
 Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe
NSW 2037
 Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not
wanted here
 Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present
employer

Links:
------
[1]