[Cfp-interest 1847] Re: fmax, fmin

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Thu Nov 19 18:32:35 PST 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 18:13:14 -0800 Jim Thomas wrote:

>> I am not sure what I should be doing here about this item.
>
>Is this for the action item:
>
>    Fred: Write a paper to remove the fminfN/fmaxfN/fmindN/... functions from part 3 as an annex.

Yes it is.

>The action item seems fairly specific, and only pertains to the part 3 annex. Your last change below is about the action item.
>
>I thought we had decided not to remove or obsolesce the fmax and fmin functions in the C23 draft (not including the part 3 annex).

Since the decimal FP stuff is new to C23, what about:

> Remove fmaxd32, fmaxd64, fmaxd128.
> Remove fmind32, fmind64, fmind128.

>We should replace use of fmax in G.5.1#8. Did you check that fmaximum is a good replacement, i.e., that fmaximum_num isn't needed?

I did not check that choice.

>It would be good to look for any other needed cleanup from adding the new max-min functions.

OK

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.