[Cfp-interest 1639] Re: C++ floating-point work

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at speleotrove.com
Mon Jun 15 11:47:19 PDT 2020

Hi David, thanks for posting this!   I just took a quick skim through
P1467R4.html ; one sentence caught my eye:

    When an implementation supports both binary and decimal floating-point,
the conversion ranks of a binary type and a decimal type will always be
unordered, because neither type's set of values will be a subset of the
other due to the different radixes.

This is not right; binary floating-point types can always be a subset of
appropriate decimal floating-point types because the latter have a base of
5*2 (in C/C++ notation), so you can make an exact conversion using the same
number of digits.  Decimal floating-point-types, however, cannot be
converted exactly to binary types (in general) because of that power of
five.

See  <http://speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq1.html>
http://speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq1.html for some of the background,
rationale, etc.