[Cfp-interest 1638] C++ floating-point work

David Olsen dolsen at nvidia.com
Mon Jun 15 11:04:13 PDT 2020

I am one of the authors of the C++ proposal P1467 “Extended floating-point types”, which has similar goals to the _FloatN work that CFP is doing, in that it adds additional optional floating-point types to the standard.  The next revision of the proposal is available, https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P1467R4.html (and also attached to this message).  I welcome any feedback that CFP might have, especially about the “C Compatibility” section, https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P1467R4.html#c-compat .  Am I representing the C proposal correctly?  Are there other incompatibilities between the C and C++ proposals that I am not seeing?  The C++ Committee would like to do a better job than we have in the recent past of keeping C and C++ from diverging unnecessarily, so we are soliciting feedback from the C community while C++ proposals are still under development when there is overlap between C and C++.

--
David Olsen
NVIDIA HPC Compiler Team, WG21 member