[Cfp-interest] Summary of C FP issues so far

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 17 17:16:56 PDT 2018

Rajan,

Thanks for the summary. I have a few questions below.

Safe travel,

Jim

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 5:27 PM, Rajan Bhakta <rbhakta at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Here is a summary of all the decisions reached in WG14 regarding the floating point study group topics of interest to date. The major items are that we need to provide updated Parts 1 and 2 containing all closed defects (as of this WG14 meeting, all changed status given below) to the WG14 editors, and to create a new version of Part 3 that is a conditionally normative annex (if we want Part 3 to be a part of C2X) as a separate proposal.
>
> Action items:
>   - Give all (CR/DR) changes integrated into the Floating Point TS’s by the end of this meeting to the WG14 editors for Parts 1 and 2. Subsequent changes will be based on the C2X working draft.

As elaborated below (For the C2X Proposals, Parts 1 and 2 …), right?

> TS CR's:
>     DR17: Move to closed.
>     DR18: Move to closed.
>     DR19: Move to closed.
>     DR13: See N2252. Move to review.
>     DR16: Move to review.
>     DR20: See N2254. Move to review.
>     DR21: See N2283. Move to review.
>     DR22: See N2255. Move to review.
>
> For proposed CR/DR's:
> P2 CR for llquantep invalid case [N 2262 <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2262.pdf>]
>   CR23. Move to review.
> P1 CR for remainder NaN case [N 2272 <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2272.pdf>]
>   CR24. Move to review.
> P1 CR for totalorder parameters [N 2292 <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2292.pdf>]
>   CR25. Move to review. The change will be reflected in C2X.
>   Note: Jens, Blaine, Aaron, Martin: Prefer Built In Functions. The issue is taking the address of the function.
>
> For the C defects:
> Move to DR501 into review after incorporating N2253.
>
> For the C2X Proposals:
>   Parts 1 and 2 will go in. Note that as per above, the plan is for our group to incorporate all changes from closed DR/CR's to the point of the end of this WG14 meeting into working drafts of the TS parts 1 and 2 and give that to Jens and Larry for incorporation into a working draft of C2X.
>     Part 3: New types
>       Looking for the floating point study group to turn this into a conditionally normative annex (new proposal).

Hmm. The P3 specification includes changes all the way through the standard. Did WG14 give any indication of what form an acceptable annex might take?

>     Part 4: Mathematical functions:
>       No consensus to add this to the working draft of C2X.
>     Part 4: Reduction functions:
>       No consensus to add this to the working draft of C2X.
>     Part 5: Evaluation format pragmas:
>       No consensus to add this to the working draft of C2X.
>     Part 5: Optimization control pragmas
>       No consensus to add this to the working draft of C2X.
>     Part 5: Reproducible results
>       Not looking for the FP study group to rework this without optimization pragma.
>       No consensus to add this to the working draft of C2X.

Could you say more about what “no consensus” means?