[Cfp-interest] WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes 2014/09/16

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 16 10:58:02 PDT 2014

2014/09/16, 12:00 EST:
  Attendees: Rajan, Jim, Fred, David, Mike, Ian

  New agenda items:
    None

  Sticky action items:
    David: Part 5: Complete exception specification with the full syntax
dealing with scope and sub-exceptions. Include a discussion document with
reasons choices and alternatives. - Partially done (more of an outline.
Sent on 2014/05/12). Keep open.
    David: Part 5: SUBSTITUTEXOR -> SUBSTITUTE_XOR. Pending issue
resolution. - Leave open

  Last meeting action items:
    Rajan: Draft a response to Jacob Navia's note and send it to the CFP
group before sending it to the wider WG14 group. - Done
    David: Part 5: Prepare a complete specification for alternate
exception handling by the end of August. - Not done

  New action items:
    ToDo: Part 3: Jim: Formatting to accurately reflect source document.
    ToDo: Part 3: Jim: pg. vii: Part 2 should not have "this document"
(line 15). It should be moved (or removed entirely) to Part 3 (line 19).
    ToDo: Part 3 (Comment 2): Jim: Combination needs to be added.
    ToDo: Part 3 (Comment 3): Jim: Note describing why we are not adding
implementation defined.
    ToDo: Part 3 (Comment 5): Jim: Draft up a few sentences to add to F.3
describing how to do the convertFormat operations in C.

    ToDo: Part 4: Jim: pg. vii: Part 2 should not have "this document"
(line 15). It should be moved (or removed entirely) to Part 4 (line 19).
    ToDo: Part 4 (Comment 9): Jim: Set the response for this comment to:
scaled_prodsum and scaled_proddiff functions can have p and q overlap so
they should not have restrict specified.
    ToDo: Part 4: Jim: Missed another missing argument: Page 22 line 13:
reduc_sumprod last bullet has n,p instead of n,p,q as the arguments.

    ToDo: David: Check for UK call in numbers (or other countries) and
check with Mike on access need.

  Next Meeting:
    October 16th (Thursday), 2014, 12:00 EST, 9:00 PDT
    Same teleconference number.

    Part 1: Published.

    Part 2: Final draft sent to ISO for review. Will come back to Jim for
final check.
      The date value will need to be set in the TS conformance macro value
portion of the text. We will need to do the same for parts 3 and 4.

    Part 3: Comment resolution:
      No spreadsheet from GB yet.
      *ToDo: Part 3: Jim: pg. vii: Part 2 should not have "this document"
(line 15). It should be moved (or removed entirely) to Part 3 (line 19).
      Comment 2: Handled as suggested. *ToDo: Part 3: Jim: Combination
needs to be added.
      Comment 3: fast int types don't say this, so it is better to keep it
consistent with that area of the standard.
      Comment 5: Should we add an example here?
        David: We are explaining it over and over. It is likely confusing
for others.
        *ToDo: Part 3: Jim: Draft up a few sentences to add to F.3
describing how to do the convertFormat operations in C.

    Part 4: Comment resolution:
      No spreadsheet from GB yet.
      *ToDo: Part 4: Jim: pg. vii: Part 2 should not have "this document"
(line 15). It should be moved (or removed entirely) to Part 4 (line 19).
      Rajan: Suggestion for both parts 3 and 4: Should we describe parts 3
and 4 with more detail?
        Jim: Since parts 1 and 2 are already out, and this section is an
almost copy between the documents it would be inconsistent to do it.
      Comment 1: Change mark does not show but it has been corrected. Not
sure why the change bar is not present.
      Comment 9 (restrict qualifier): The reduction sum and prod functions
do not need restrict since they can be overlapping.
        For scaled prod, restrict does need to be there as given in the
comment.
        Ian: If there is no write does it matter?
        From a standards point of view it does, since it refers to access
not writes (6.7.3#8).
        Fred: Should we add words to say p and q can overlap and hence
they are not restrict qualified?
        *scaled_prodsum and scaled_proddiff functions can have p and q
overlap so they should not have restrict specified.
      *Missed another missing argument: p22 line 13: reduc_sumprod last
bullet has n,p instead of n,p,q as the arguments.

    Part 5: (Email discussion based) (http://www.validlab.com/cfp/*.txt)

    September 29th is the WG14 mailing deadline.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at us.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Houston/IBM