[Cfp-interest] establishing binding for decimal

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 13 15:53:17 PST 2012

> -          Action Item Jim *************: Specify binding to the floating-point standard in our C11 changes
> o   For accuracy, but probably also for semantics
> o   Fred: see C11 F.3 – operators and functions
> o   Using a table for that binding may not be enough

I propose these changes in Part 2:

In clause 2 b), add the bullet
—    F.3 Operations (see clause 8 below)

In clause 8, change the first paragraph to:
Table 1 and subsequent text in F.3 as specified in Part 1 of this Technical Specification, with the further suggested change below, show how the C decimal operations specified in Part 2 of this Technical Specification provide the operations required by IEC 60559 for decimal floating point.

If and when Parts 1 and 2 go into the standard, something more would be needed (in the standard) to specify the conformance options, but I don't know that we need to provide that specification as part of the TS.

Does the TS specify what's required for conformance to its Parts? Is something else needed?

-Jim