[Cfp-interest] strtodN subject sequence with minus sign

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 21 11:36:20 PDT 2012

>> 11.6 strtod32, strtod64, and strtod128 functions <stdlib.h>
>> PDF page 31, item [4]:
>> Add at the end of:
>>  "If the subject sequence begins with a minus sign, the sequence is
>>   interpreted as negated."
>> (before rounding).
>
> It says the sequence is interpreted as negated, not that the result of rounding the unnegated sequence is negated. So no change needed

In the Aug teleconference, David asked would "interpreted as negative" be better? I think it might be a little clearer. However, the current words (… negated) match what's in C11 for the generic strtod family. I'm inclined against making strtodN differ from strtod on this point. Does anyone think a C11 defect report is in order?

-Jim