[Cfp-interest] CFP Study Group, 2-nd Meeting Notes - Oct 5, 2009

Cornea, Marius marius.cornea at intel.com
Tue Oct 6 15:16:34 PDT 2009

CFP Study Group Meeting Minutes, Oct. 5, 2009-10-05

Attendees:
Steve Canon
Marius Cornea
David Hough
Mathew Koshy
Ian McIntosh
Rich Painter
Eric Schwartz
Jim Thomas
Fred Tydeman
Liang-Kai Wang

Not attending today:
Walter Banks
Rajan Bhakta
William Kahan
Jeff Kidder
Alex Liu
Raymond Mak

Ian: Robert Enenkel from IBM will participate starting next time; Ian may not attend regularly

Ian: correct error in notes of last time - Fred is in Reno, not Austin; and Eric is in Poughkeepsie, not Austin

Jim - Action items from previous meeting:
Ian to send out note - DONE
ACTION ITEM  ==>  John B. & Jim put together liaison stmt for WG14 at the end of the months - keep as action item for next time
  We mentioned documents we need for work - Jim should post for free access; Fred provided some, up on the Wiki now;
 Eric obtained final 754-2008 from IEEE for our use, up on Wiki now - DONE

Nominate someone to chair the meeting:
    Marius: suggests Jim
    Jim: is available
    Ian: nominates Jim
    Eric: seconds nomination
    Jim: accepts
    Rich Painter: moves that the nomination be closed
    Jim: decision is final - Jim is the chair of the study group
Dinkumware agreed to set up a wiki for us - DONE (we should go forward with that wiki)
Which subgroup would people like to participate in, and whether they would like to lead them - not done yet - will start today

Study group logistics:
  Jim: Dinkumware used CFP - C Floating-Point - for the wiki; we have a group login name;

    We agree to "C Floating Point" as the name of the study group
  Rich: we are not identifying the players; we could sign each entry with our names; it would be nice to be able to identify entries automatically
  Fred: have been doing that for more than 10 years; never an issue
  Jim: the wiki mostly for posting documents
        ACTION ITEM  ==>  All should check the participant info: email addresses, etc. and should add any useful references/links

Email Reflector:
  Jim: this is where most of the discussion will be;
  David Hough: has set up the email reflector
     David sent this link: http://mailman.oakapple.net/mailman/listinfo/cfp-interest
     All topics will appear in the archive, prefixed with the subject name
  Jim: asks David to try this out and let us know if/how it works
    ACTION ITEM  ==>  David will try this out and will let us know if/how it works
  Jim: we got a name, a wiki, and an email reflector

Jim: we do not need an editor yet

Next meeting:
  Jim: this time slot (on Monday) seems to work; monthly frequency ok -> Nov 2nd for next meeting

  Jim: subgroups

    Rich Painter: wondering if we could have a 10000 ft discussion about the intention for each of these categories
    Jim: the document we produce would have an introduction about the feature we want to add to the language; a list of changes needed;
    Ian: and a rationale for why we want to add these

    Formats Group: Jim (lead), Steve, Mathew, Ian, Liang-Kai, Eric, Marius
    Extendable Formats Group: Steve

            ACTION ITEM  ==>  Jim to meet with Steve about how to proceed.
    Attributes Group: David (lead), Fred
    Rounding Attributes, Modes, Flags: Jim (will initiate), David, Fred, Steve, Eric
    Functions Group: Rich (lead), Steve, Eric, Fred, Marius, Ian, Jim
    NaNs Group: Fred (lead), Liang-Kai, Jim, Eric, Ian
    Alternate Exc. Handling Group: David (lead), Liang-Kai, Fred
    Expression Evaluation Group: Jim (will initiate), Fred, David, Ian, Mathew
    Reproducible Results Group: David (lead), Liang-Kai, Eric, Mathew, Marius
    Debugging Support Group: William Kahan (lead, if interested), Rich
    Conversions to/from Character Sequences Group: Jim (lead), Fred, Marius

Rich: want to begin homework; will interaction be using email addresses that Jim has been using

  ACTION ITEM ==> all to register on the reflector
  ACTION ITEM ==> Jim to set up wiki pages on each topic
  ACTION ITEM ==> Subgroups to post results of their discussions by next time

Jim: a few people were here at the 1st meeting, but not the 2nd

End of Minutes, Oct. 5, 2009-10-05