[pct-l 61] nibbling on section M

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Wed Jun 19 21:57:57 PDT 2024

After I finished rehiking section M, the trail was rerouted from Sierra
Buttes down to Pack Saddle campground and then back up to Deer Lake and
the ridgeline.    This was a decided improvement, taking the PCT away
from a jeep trail and down to a car campground with reliable water, toilets,
and bear lockers.    You pump the water yourself... right next to the
toilets.

So I decided to go back and check out the new bits of PCT,
southbound from Pack Saddle on Jun 15, and
northbound on Jun 17.   I did as much as I could in the time I had
available, only about 4 hours hiking each day.

The new trail tread southbound is in great shape, moderate grade, no
obstables - until it disappeared into a large snowbank at
Tamarack Lakes at 6800'.
People had gotten over it, but at 5pm it was getting slippery uphill and
it would have been worse downhill at 6pm.    So I turned around.

I ran into several apparent through hikers or at least long distance hikers.
Any that had actually started at Campo would have needed their traction
devices if they actually got through the High Sierra unsupplied, and if they
still had them, they can probably look forward to needing them again
at Mushroom Rock and Maneaten Lake.     This snowfield at Tamarack Lake
would be the least of their worries, though there might well have been
worse higher up - the PCT junction with the lookout trail is at 7400'.
There were plenty of cornice remnants visible along the west and north faces of
the ridge.

After all, this was a very snowy year, and Jun 15 was Ray Day - the traditional
starting time from Kennedy Meadows South, 500 trail miles south of Sierra
Buttes and Lakes Basin.

The trail northbound from Pack Saddle
is the former Deer Lake trail and is also in good
shape.    I ran out of time and turned around at 6900',
past the junction with the invisible
trail to Grass Lake, but before getting up to Deer Lake.

There is plenty of flowing water on both these bits of PCT,
but some of it might be seasonal.

David Hough