[Numeric-interest] new timing programs for LAPACK

David G Hough ucb at oakapple.net
Fri Feb 13 16:50:16 PST 2015

As part of a LAPACK tuning project, I had an interest in timing my work
and discovered that the previous TIMING suite was no longer supported.
LAPACK through version 3.0 had a small suite of testing programs in the TESTINGdirectory and a much larger suite of timing and testing programs in the TIMING
directory.
Subsequent versions, including the current reference version 3.5.0,
retain the TESTING suite but omit the TIMING suite.

When I started to see if I could update the TIMING suite
enough to be useful for me,
I found that, aside from its timing aspect, the suite also tested
correctness on larger problems and in more varied ways than the TESTING suite,
and in fact revealed some previously unknown (to me)
errors in the LAPACK 3.5.0
reference library itself.    However the anomalies discovered in the reference
library and in my tuned version were well hidden among many other problems
due to bugs in the TIMING suite itself.

I have updated the TIMING suite to work well enough for my purposes with
the 3.5.0 reference library, and added additional correctness tests
that seemed helpful.      You can read about this work at
 http://www.ucbtest.org/software/lapack-newtiming/
or download it at
 http://www.ucbtest.org/software/lapack-newtiming.tgz