numeric fdlibm

David G Hough at validlab.com validlab
Thu Aug 1 15:05:55 PDT 2002

A couple of years ago Stephen Moshier wrote:

 It is well known that fdlibm as originally posted was riddled with
 pointer aliasing bugs and other portability problems.  You can get the
 benefit of other people's debugging efforts by looking at the Cygnus,
 DJGPP, linux glibc, or perhaps BSD versions.  The Cygnus one is at
   ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/newlib/
 DJGPP is
   http://www.delorie.com
 Both of these mentioned come with very permissive license boilerplate.

Is this still the current status?    I'm looking for a version of fdlibm
that preserves the original numerical algorithms but
compiles correctly with full optimization on a variety of platforms
with current versions of GCC (e.g. 3.1.1).   The original libfdm problem
with optimizers -
finding an efficient way to access doubles as pairs of 32-bit ints -
has been said to be insoluble since the C standard doesn't GUARANTEE any
of the usual ways of doing so by pointers or unions.     Even if that be
true, I'd be happy for a version that works anyway at least on SPARC.