Table-Maker's Dilemma search for worst cases

David G Hough at validgh validgh
Thu Oct 22 08:51:23 PDT 1998

Found in comp.arch.arithmetic:

http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~jmmuller/TMD.html

I apologize for the test messages I had to send today.    Spammers were using
my machines as relays, so I had to obtain and configure sendmail 8.9.1
to shut them down.    Doing so broke all my email for about 24 hours during
my learning curve, and numeric-interest was still broken until I figured
out (sendmail -d44.4) that the permissions on the /export directory
included group-writable... and the numeric-interest alias was far down
in /export/home/...  but current sendmail is paranoid about directory
and file permissions, for good reason.    Putting your source code in public
view offers the best potential for finding your security holes and other
weaknesses promptly, especially with people attempting to make a living by
distributing lists of systems permitting relaying.    Those lists are rapidly
shrinking rather than expanding, I hope.

Thanks for your patience during this and probable future instabilities
introduced by pirate packets and their countermeasures.