correctly rounded results

Warren Ferguson fergusonamail.smu.edu
Mon Mar 30 09:52:08 PST 1998

A nice treatment of rounding for division and square root is
contained in Stuart Oberman's thesis. You might also be interested in
an article I wrote on correctly rounded results for any function that
has a computable residual. A draft of this paper (acrobat format) is
found off my home page:

http://www.smu.edu/~ferguson

The idea presented in this article is that digit-by-digit methods
and iterative methods (like Newton's method) use the same technique
to deliver correctly rounded results. I plan to clean the paper up
and submit it for publication next month.

Regards, Warren Ferguson
---
Southern Methodist University, SMU POB 750156
Mathematics Department, 208 Clements Hall, Dallas
TX 757275-0156 V:(214)768-2506 F:(214)8768-2355