What Chips Support Which Exceptions? A Survey

Steve Stevenson steveacs.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 24 07:02:57 PDT 1998

While the arrival of the IEEE floating point standards have gone a
long way towards making life easier for numerical programming, we have
a *long* way to go. Kahan has continued to sound the alarm on how
slowly the manufacturers are coming into compliance. But there is
another even more insidious situation: exceptions. While IEEE states
the floating point exceptions (the situation is not so wonderful as
you might expect), there is no similar guarantee with *integer*
exceptions. The problem with integer exceptions is not new news but
there is no catalog of what chips support what.

I am trying to develop such a catalog. The survey is found on

	     http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~steve/except.html

If you have experience/knowledge about "comodity" chips (no matter how
exotic/erotic), would you please check the site and help me collect
the information.

Best regards,

steve
-----
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           Assoc Prof
Department of Computer Science, Clemson,   (864)656-5880.mabell
Homepage:  http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~steve/
Wanted: Sterbenz, P. Floating Point Computation